Saturday, November 30, 2013


Our painting group met to day in Arlington, SD, and I was able to finish this painting.  I'm much happier with it than with the first abstract.  I think maybe because I tried not to overthink it - just had fun with it to see where it wanted to go.  I added the greens on the stone wall on the left side of the painting and darkened the lower left corner.    I also extended the oranges down farther into the painting.  The sailboat was too bright - drawing too much attention to itself - so it had to be toned down.

It was so much fun, I decided to try another.  This time it's quite large - about 4' x 4'.  It comes from a doodle I did one time and happened to run across again.  I thought there were some interesting design elements worthy of more consideration.  So far there are colors laid down quite thinly over the whole canvas.  Now we'll just have to wait to see where it wants to go.  Exciting not having a preconceived idea of how the painting will turn out.  Keep watching.  It could be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment